Codeplug after editing is not working "NO CONTACTS"

Report any bugs or errors you find here.
DJ1JR
Callsign: DJ1JR

Codeplug after editing is not working "NO CONTACTS"

Post by DJ1JR »

Hello,

After editing the code plug and writing it to the radio, the entries under "Contacts" are gone and the actual contacts are also empty. The code plug can no longer be used and when you press the PTT during a DMR entry, the radio says “NO CONTACTS”. The code plug then has to be debugged again with the CPS editor and all contacts have to be created and inserted again. This also happens if you download a working code plug from the radio and then write it back into the radio. The contacts are read out but the settings are lost when writing.

In the Screenshot is the edited Codeplug. After upload to the Radio the "Contacts" Row is set in the Radio to "OFF", after reading from Radio the Row Contacts shows all "OFF".
SCREEN.jpg
The edited Codeplug is so not useable.

The Radio is a Radiodditty GD-88 - and the same with my Retevis RT-73

vy 73 de Holger DJ1JR / K1JHR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MM7DBT
Site Admin
200posts
Callsign: MM7DBT

Re: Codeplug after editing is not working "NO CONTACTS"

Post by MM7DBT »

MM7DBT wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:49 pm "Default Contact ID" cannot be higher than 232 due to a limitation on how the ID is stored in the radio. (stored as 1 byte, so only 0-232 is allowed)

Originally it was stored as 2 bytes but when APRS was added, they are using 1 bit of the second byte to store the selected APRS channel.
This broke the selected contact for each channel so now you can only select the first 232 contacts.

I've done some testing with it and even the original CPS has trouble dealing with it, often setting incorrect contacts when it is over the limit.
Below is from a Facebook comment I made when someone reported the same problem.
So... with some playing around with the radio, it seems the firmware only supports the first 232 contacts as a 'Default Contact'

I've written 1000 contacts to the radio with 10 channels, each has the +100th contact selected. i.e Ch1 is Contact 100, Ch2 is Contact 200, Ch3 is Contact 300 etc etc

No issues writing to the radio, but then looking at the channels on the radio.. only Ch1 and Ch2 are correct.. after that they are all wrong.

Editing the channel on the radio to select the contact and save the channel results in it being set to 'Contact: OFF'
Set it to Contact 232.. works fine
Set it to Contact 233.. it breaks!

This was not an issue before APRS was added to the original Kydera firmware since the 'Default Contact ID' could use the full 2 bytes.. now it's limited to 1 byte and it doesn't even use it all if its only allowing 232 and not 255 🤔
312451948_10160437381817020_9034970471886919178_n.jpg
-73 de MM7DBT
MM7DBT
Site Admin
200posts
Callsign: MM7DBT

Post by MM7DBT »

How many contacts do you have in the codeplug?
It is a known issue, dating back to 2022, that having more than 200 or so will start to cause issues.. Firmware changes since 2022 may have caused other issues with contacts as well.

As mentioned above in my quote from January 2023;
When the implemented APRS to the firmware, they broke the channel contacts by using memory allocations used by 'default contact' for the channel APRS parameters.
It has been mentioned countless times to Kydera (they write the firmware for all these radios (Radioddity GD-88, DB40-D, DB25-D aka Retevis RT73) as they are all re-branded Kydera radios)

Just hoping one day they will listen and implement a fix for it..! :)
-73 de MM7DBT
DJ1JR
Callsign: DJ1JR

Post by DJ1JR »

MM7DBT wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:55 pm How many contacts do you have in the codeplug?
It is a known issue, dating back to 2022, that having more than 200 or so will start to cause issues.. Firmware changes since 2022 may have caused other issues with contacts as well.
There are at the time only 36 contacts in the codeplug. When I write the plug with the DRS_CPS_3.3 then the plug runs at expected. When only read the data out of the radio and write it with the MM7DBT Copdeplug editor then the contacts are gone. This is happens at my GD-88 and also at my DB-25-D. There are 251 RX Groups in the plug - may it this data that corrupts my codeplug...