ver 3.0221 not installing

Report any bugs or errors you find here.
K0FG

ver 3.0221 not installing

Post by K0FG »

Downloaded the ver 3.0221 and ran the .msi file. Did a repair option, seemed to work ok. When I start the program it asks if I want to update to ver 3.0221 and when I show the about it tells me I am running ver 3.0219. Really am looking for the updates to importing .csv files from Anytone cuz it currently does not work properly.
Fred, K0FG
MM7DBT
Site Admin
200posts
Callsign: MM7DBT

Re: ver 3.0221 not installing

Post by MM7DBT »

When it starts and asks you to update, if you press 'yes' does it update?

The msi installers are not always updated with each build, as that would defeat the purpose of having the automatic update prompts.

However I have updated the installers now, so you could try uninstalling it from control panel and then installing the new version.
-73 de MM7DBT
K0FG

Post by K0FG »

I deleted all version of cpeditor using the control panel then installed latest version and it installed and is running ok.
Thanks
Fred, K0FG
K0FG

Post by K0FG »

Now I get prompted to update to ver 0.3.0224.1 and when I say yes I get a black screen and it says it's updating. But it sits there forever and never does anything. I end the program and start over and it says I am running ver 0.3.223.1. Guess the auto update is not working.
Fred, K0FG
MM7DBT
Site Admin
200posts

Post by MM7DBT »

Can you upload screenshots of what happens? So I can see what is happening.

then

Try running CPEditor as administrator, to see if it's a permission issue.
The updater works for most people but seem to fail for others but I can't get enough information to see where and how it fails.
-73 de MM7DBT
K0FG

Post by K0FG »

Running as admin did the trick. So you are probably correct in your diagnosis about permissions.
Thanks and 73
Fred, K0FG
Tyrbiter
Callsign: G8SEZ

Post by Tyrbiter »

For a good few versions now I have found that running the program as administrator allows the update to work, but if not run as administrator the update notification does not then give me a UAC prompt when I allow the update, instead the updating window appears but there is no progress bar activity it is blank and then exits without applying the update.

For a short period a few weeks or maybe a month or two ago this UAC prompt did work, so somewhere in the development process this has broken.

I'm not sure if this helps in diagnosing what has happened, I am no expert on the innards of Windows 10.
--

Brian
MM7DBT
Site Admin
200posts

Post by MM7DBT »

I think I know why the UAC prompt has not been showing, hence why the update fails...

I reverted back to a previous version of the updater a while back, which did not include the "requireAdministrator" permissions set.
Then with version 0.3.0226.1.. I replaced CPEUpdater with a new re-written version which also didn't ask for the permissions.

I have updated CPEUpdater.exe to request administrator privileges, which should now show the UAC prompt.
This will only come into effect after the next update (after 0.3.0227.1) since the updater will only be replaced once you update to 0.3.0227.1

If you look at the folder you installed it to, you should see the UAC shield on the CPEUpdater.exe, which means it should run as admin and show the UAC prompt.
cpeupdateuac.PNG
Note:
The reason CPEUpdater requires administrator privileges is because it is downloading a file (CPEditor.exe).. then deleting the old version to replace it with the new version.
Since CPEditor is now being installed into the "Program Files" directory. Administrator privileges are required to add/remove files within those directories.

Within the next update or so, I may replace the updater with downloading the .msi installer and allowing the installer to do the update.. which should get around any permission issues in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-73 de MM7DBT
Tyrbiter
Callsign: G8SEZ

Post by Tyrbiter »

I succesfully updated to 0.3.0227.1 just now running as administrator, I also see that the progress bar is now a filled in red stripe instead of smaller green blocks replacing a line of dashes.

Will report further if anything unexpected happens from now on.
--

Brian