Getting write errors when loading code plug to GD-88

Report any bugs or errors you find here.
W1AQP
Callsign: W1AQP

Getting write errors when loading code plug to GD-88

Post by W1AQP »

I'm having an issue trying to write my newly modified code plug to my GD-88. I've got 2 zones, Analog and Digital. In the Analog zone, I've created 8 channels for various repeaters I may access in my local area. I created these channels and had one "placeholder" channel in the digital zone, and was able to write this code plug to the GD-88 without issues. Seems to work, too, as all of the analog repeaters all wake up when I momentarily hit the PTT. Haven't done any QSO's yet.

I then tried to configure 12 channels for one local DMR repeater. I can save the Code plug file to disk, but when I try to write it to the GD-88, It looks like it is going to load, then I get a write error as shown in the screen shot attached.

I've attached a copy of the code plug file as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Hector - W1AQP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MM7DBT
Site Admin
200posts
Callsign: MM7DBT

Re: Getting write errors when loading code plug to GD-88

Post by MM7DBT »

"Default Contact ID" cannot be higher than 232 due to a limitation on how the ID is stored in the radio. (stored as 1 byte, so only 0-232 is allowed)

Originally it was stored as 2 bytes but when APRS was added, they are using 1 bit of the second byte to store the selected APRS channel.
This broke the selected contact for each channel so now you can only select the first 232 contacts.

I've done some testing with it and even the original CPS has trouble dealing with it, often setting incorrect contacts when it is over the limit.
Below is from a Facebook comment I made when someone reported the same problem.
So... with some playing around with the radio, it seems the firmware only supports the first 232 contacts as a 'Default Contact'

I've written 1000 contacts to the radio with 10 channels, each has the +100th contact selected. i.e Ch1 is Contact 100, Ch2 is Contact 200, Ch3 is Contact 300 etc etc

No issues writing to the radio, but then looking at the channels on the radio.. only Ch1 and Ch2 are correct.. after that they are all wrong.

Editing the channel on the radio to select the contact and save the channel results in it being set to 'Contact: OFF'
Set it to Contact 232.. works fine
Set it to Contact 233.. it breaks!

This was not an issue before APRS was added to the original Kydera firmware since the 'Default Contact ID' could use the full 2 bytes.. now it's limited to 1 byte and it doesn't even use it all if its only allowing 232 and not 255 🤔
312451948_10160437381817020_9034970471886919178_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-73 de MM7DBT
W1AQP
Callsign: W1AQP

Re: Getting write errors when loading code plug to GD-88

Post by W1AQP »

Thank you, David,

If I'm interpreting this correctly, I can load a very large number of talk groups to the phone, but the channel set-up will only let me select one of the first 232 contacts in the list? That's not good...

Not your fault, I realize, And thanks for the input, so I now understand why I couldn't make things work.